Search This Blog

Loading...

Where our friendship begins:

Friday, July 30, 2010

Learning How to Draw

Hello, everyone. My wife asked me to contribute to this blog, so let me tell you a little about myself.

I learned how to draw around the year 2000. For most of my life, I thought I simply did not have the talent, but my brother convinced me to try the exercise in Betty Edwards's Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (you can buy a copy of the latest version here). Betty Edwards taught that anybody can learn how to draw; the key skill being to perceive things the way an artist does (what she calls the right-brain mode). I gave it a try, working my way through the exercises. Back then I would frequently go to a quiet corner the library and study some subject that interested me, such as Greek or mathematics, so I would bring an object to draw and spend half an hour to an hour on it. Eventually, I mastered the beginning skills and took a drawing course at the local community college.

My primary media are graphite and colored pencils, but I am also interested in computer art. Aside from drawing, I also love to make music which is a great art of itself; perhaps I will talk about it here as well.

Keep drawing!

EWC

No comments:

Join my blog and be featured here: